Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, conforming to local building codes.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials.
- Shapes materials to prescribed measurements.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Verifies trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter’s level.
- Erects framework for structures and lays subflooring.
- Builds stairs and lays out and installs partitions and cabinet work.
- Covers subfloor with building paper to keep out moisture and lays hardwood, parquet, and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Applies shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, and decorative paneling to ceilings and walls.
- Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware, such as locks, letterdrops, and kick plates.
- Constructs forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Welds metal parts to steel structural members.